Preschoolers and kindergarteners love to read predictable books and about a character that they can read more about in other books. They love the repetition and familiarity. Here is a list of twenty books that are common favorites amongst preschool and kindergarten age children (including my almost-three-year-old daughter!) that are sure to get your budding reader hooked on the whole series.
1. Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by James Dean
2. No, David! by David Shannon
3. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff
4. Fancy Nancy by Jane O’Connor
5. The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen
6. We Are in a Book! (An Elephant and Piggie Book) by Mo Willems
7. Llama Llama Zippity-Zoom by Anna Dewdney
8. Duck & Goose Colors by Tad Hills
9. How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? by Jane Yolen
10. Olivia by Ian Falconer
11. Hi! Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold
12. Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt
13. Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type (A Click, Clack Book) by Doreen Cronin
14. Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
15. Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold Lobel
16. I Stink! by Kate McMullan
17. Amelia Bedelia (I Can Read Book) by Peggy Parish
18. Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola
19. Minerva Louise at School by Janet Morgan Stoeke
20. Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems
Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
This book is not actually part of a series, but I have to mention it anyway because:
a) this author is fantastic and
b) my oldest daughter is LOVING this book right now!
You may already be familiar with the Gruffalo books by Julia Donaldson. If you haven’t read her books before, I highly recommend you check them out.
What are your favorite series books for preschool and kindergarten? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
Ciao, babe, and happy reading!
This post contains Amazon Affiliates links. A rich home library is extremely important for your developing readers, but I also always encourage you to check books out at your lovely local library!